Astabandhana Balalaya Mahasamprokshanam, the vedic ritual prescribed in Agamas, that is observed once in 12 years, will be observed in Tirumala temple from August 12 to 16 with Ankurarpanam on August 11.
In connection with this vedic event, Tirumala JEO Sri KS Sreenivasa Raju convened a review meeting with senior officers of TTD at Annamaiah Bhavan in Tirumala on Thursday.
After the review meeting, the JEO briefed media persons on the arrangements and amendments in pilgrim darshan during the said period in Tirumala temple. Some excerpts:
* Ankurarpanam for the religious fete will be observed between 9pm and 10pm on August 11
* The auspicious muhurat for Astabandhana Balalaya Maha Samprokshanam has been decided by the Agama Advisors in Tula Lagnam between 10:16am and 12 noon on August 16
* The religious function takes place in Old Kalyana Mandapam i.e.the present currency Parakamani area located in Vimana Prakaram
* From July 20 onwards, the parakamani will be carried out in Kalyana Mandapam from 2pm till 11pm till the completion of Mahasamprokshanam.
* Ornamental and Sculptural repair works will be taken up to the main and sub-temples of Tirumala temple
* All the works pertaining to rituals including setting up of Vedikas, Homa Gundem etc. will be completed by August 8.
* The Chief Priest and Agama Advisor Sri Venugopala Deekshitulu will act as Pradhana Acharya (Kankanabhattar) of the entire religious event
* 44 Ritwiks and over 100 Veda Parayanamdarulu, Prabandha Pandits, Vedic students are going to take part in the religious function
* Mahashanti Tirumanjanam will be performed on August 15 to Mulavirat and Parivara Devatas.
* Mandalabhishekam will be observed for 48 days from August 17 to October 3
* During these days, nobody will be allowed for darshan beyond Jaya – Vijaya
* After Kalakarshana on August 12, even the temple staff are allowed to enter inside temple upto Ramulavari Meda point only.
* TTD has cancelled all arjitha sevas from August 12 to 16
* Tomala and Archana sevas are restricted only to Udayasthamana Seva devotees on August 11 and 12 only
* VIP break darshan restricted to only protocol VIPs on August 11 and 12 and no break darshan from August 13 to 16
* As the darshan hours during this period is less than usual, TTD could be able to provide darshan of Lord to a maximum of 30-35 thousands per day only.
* The JEO appealed to the pilgrim devotees, to plan their darshan programme accordingly to avoid inconvenience.
CE Sri Chandrasekhar Reddy, FACAO Sri Balaji, CVSO In-charge Sri Siva Kumar Reddy, SE II Sri Ramachandra Reddy, Deputy EO Temple Sri Harindranath and other officers were also present.
Astabandhana Balalaya Mahasamprokshanam is performed once in 12 years as per the tenets of Agama Shastras for the longevity of the presiding deity as well as the other parivara deities, said Agama Advisor Dr NAK Sunderavaradan.
Briefing the media on the importance of this ritual, the scholar said, he has been taking part in the special religious fete since 1958. I had the privilege of having performed the Mahasamprokshanam in 2006 under my supervision”, he added.
The power of presiding deity, other parivara devatas and utsava murthies is transferred in to a special pot kept in yagashala during this Mahasamprokshanam, said Tirumala Chief Priest and Agama Advisor Sri Venugopala Deekshitulu. It is usually power transfer from Bimbam to Kumbham. This special religious fete is performed to enhance the longevity of the deities”, he maintained.